Ronald L. Hess is an Associate Professor of Marketing at the Mason School of Business at the College of William & Mary. He currently teaches Customer Experience Management and the Business-to-Business Marketing Career Acceleration Module (CAM) course in the William & Mary MBA Program. Previously he taught courses in Marketing Analytics, Services Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Strategy and Sales Management. Prior to his appointment at William & Mary, he spent two years teaching in the MBA and Executive Programs at the University of Central Florida. He is a two-time winner the Outstanding Professor Award at the Mason School of Business at the College of William & Mary.
His expertise and interest involves retailing, customer experience, customer (dis)satisfaction, complaint handling programs, customer loyalty, profitability and customer lifetime value in the retailing and services industries. He has published scholarly work in the areas of customer responses to service and product failures, organizational recovery strategies, issues in customer satisfaction, loyalty, service quality, and developing customer-firm relationships. He has published his research in Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Retailing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Service Marketing, International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Service Business and Marketing Letters.
Professor Hess also has considerable experience in consulting and executive education. Recent consulting, advising and executive education relationships include “Strategic Planning & Management Program” offered by Babson University Executive Education, “Strategic Planning and Management in Retailing Program” offered by Retail Academy Singapore (Singapore), “Strategic Retail Management Program” offered by Intercontinental Group of Department Stores (IGDS) (Switzerland), “Retail Strategic Management” offered by Mt. Eliza University (Australia), Bunnings Warehouse (Australia), Officeworks (Australia), Bunnings Commercial Trade (Australia), Blooms The Chemist (Australia), Sogo KL (Kuala Lumpur) Siman (El Salvador), Nike, Cisco, Swisslog, Eaton Corporation, the United States Army & Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES), the United States Marine Corps Exchange Commands (MCX), the United States Army Corps. of Engineers (USACE), NEXCOM (Navy Exchange Service Command), Philip Morris USA, Guidestar, Fabsuite, KBH Business Management Systems, Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO), WIRED, IdeaWorksHamptonRoads, Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance, Marketing Research Task Force MRTF (Williamsburg, Virginia), Hampton Roads Cluster Program, and Hampton Roads Technology Incubator System.
Areas of Interest/Expertise
- Customer Satisfaction
- Customer Loyalty/Retention
- Sales Management
- Marketing Analytics/Research
- Value Pricing
- Hess, Ronald L. (In Press), "The Impact of Firm Reputation and Failure Severity on Customers' Responses to Service Failures," Journal of Service Marketing.
- Ambrose, Maureen L., Ronald L. Hess, and Shankar Ganesan (2007), "The Relationship Between Justice and Attitudes: An Examination of Justice Effects on Event and System-related Attitudes," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 103, 21-36.
- Hess, Ronald L., Shankar Ganesan, and Noreen M. Klein (2007), "Interactional Service Failures in a Pseudorelationship: The Role of Organizational Attributions," Journal of Retailing: Special Issue on Competing Through Service, 83.
- Hess, Ronald L., Lawrence A. West, and Ronald S. Rubin (2004), "Graphical Information Systems as a Marketing Information Technology," Decision Support Systems, 38 (2), 197-212.
- Hess, Ronald L., Shankar Ganesan and Noreen M. Klein (2003), "Service Failure and Recovery: The Impact of Relationship Factors on Customer Satisfaction," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 31 (Spring), 127-145.