International Student Requirements


First, you must submit copies of both your academic record (transcripts) when you apply. If the original language of the academic record and diploma is not in English, a certified English translation must accompany the original document. The translation should be literal rather than interpretive. If a certified copy of the original transcript is submitted, the institution from which the degree was received must certify it. Documents certified by a Notary Public are not acceptable. Transcripts should include the following information: years of attendance, courses taken, grades achieved, degree, diploma or certificate awarded (if applicable) and date of conferral (if applicable).

Second, we do not require a WES evaluation at the time you submit your application but will require one if you are accepted into the program.

Third, we realize that many countries do not use the A-F scale favored by American universities and instead use a point system (1-100, etc.). If that is the case for your school, then please leave those questions blank when filling out your application. Do not try to translate the points into grades yourself. We will use the grading information provided on your transcripts when evaluating your application. In addition, we realize that in many countries the possibility of obtaining a score of 100, etc., is non-existent and that many stellar students have grade point averages lower than a perfect 100. We take these cultural differences into consideration when evaluating your application.

Test Score Reports

Please submit official test score reports. We do not accept copies.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants must have a fluent command of rapid, idiomatic English; they must be able to express thoughts clearly in speech and in writing. Applicants whose native language is not English and who have not studied extensively in an English-speaking country must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). For information regarding the TOEFL, please visit or contact Educational Testing Service TOEFL/TSE Services by telephone at 609.771.7100. Our school code is 7873. Please have the scores sent to the Graduate Management School instead of the Graduate School. For information regarding the IELTS, please visit

If you have pursued an undergraduate degree in the U.S. or another English-speaking country, then you may be eligible for a waiver of the language-proficiency test. We will waive the test requirement only in the following circumstances.

  • You have studied for at least four consecutive years in the English-speaking country.
  • You completed your undergraduate degree during that time.
Additional Academic Records Instructions for International Applicants

Applicants must have successfully completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree to be eligible for admission to a graduate program in The College of William and Mary's Mason School of Business. Only those applicants who have completed degree programs representing a minimum of 16 years of schooling with at least 12 years at the elementary and secondary levels are eligible for admission. Please see the section below entitled Academic Preparation of International Applicants for country-specific information about the level of preparation expected of applicants.

  • Australia, New Zealand and South Africa: Bachelor's honours degree or bachelor's degree where standard of completion is four or more years of full-time study.

  • Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka:All three-year Bachelor's degrees are sufficient to apply. Transcripts must be accompanied by a photocopy of the diploma and/or degree conferral. A degree conferral shows the date, location, and institution from which you received an official degree.

  • Canada: Three-year bachelor's degree from Quebec; four-year bachelor's degree from all other provinces.

  • France or French-patterned education system: Degree or Diplome requiring four years of post-baccalaureate study from a university or a grand ecole.

  • Germany: University Diplom, Magister Artium or Staatsexamen. Graduates of Fachhochschulen and Berufakademien are not eligible. The Vordiplom by itself is not sufficient.

  • Indonesia: Sarjana (five years) or SI, awarded after four years of university study.

  • Mexico, Spain, Central and South America: Completion of all courses and thesis or professional exams required for the title or degree of Bacharel or Licenciado/Licenciatura.

  • Switzerland: Licence, Diplome or Diplom; four to five years of university study.

  • United Kingdom and schools following British pattern of education: Honours Bachelor's degree.

Certification of Financial Support

Upon accepting an offer of admission, international applicants must submit certification of their financial resources, indicating the source(s) of funds to be used while studying at The College of William and Mary. The financial resources detailed on the Certification of Financial Support, including the Financial Statement, Affidavit of Support and Bank Statement, should equal or exceed the total cost of living and attending school for a minimum of one academic year (see estimated expenses below).

You do not need to submit a Certification of Financial Support with your application. You will be asked to submit this ONLY if you are admitted into the program and decide to accept our offer.

Estimated Expenses for 2016-2017

Estimated tuition and living expenses for 2016-2017 (without bootcamps) will total approximately $56,630 for a single student; you will need to add $3,000 for each dependent who accompanies you to the U.S. Books, supplies and living expenses will vary depending on courses taken, personal lifestyles, living arrangements, personal needs and family situations. Tuition bills are issued on a semester basis and are payable before registration for each semester.

Please note: Travel expenses are not included in these estimates. Also, students planning to remain in the U.S. for the summer months will need to plan for additional expenses.