K. Scott Swan is Professor of International Business and Marketing at The College of William & Mary. He has lectured internationally at Corvinus University in Budapest, MCI in Innsbruck, Tsinghua University in Beijing, Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, WHU in Koblenz, Germany, and the Vienna Business School in Austria. His research interests have lead to publications in journals such as Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Management, Journal of International Business Studies, Management International Review, Journal of Business Research, and The Journal of Product Innovation Management. His primary interests are in innovation and product design along with slowing moving into examining their implications for social entrepreneurship. Professor Swan has conducted economic impact studies for the Virginia Port Authority and Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority, along with working in project management for Flour-Daniel, marketing management for Foremost Corporation of America, as well as founding several small businesses related to design.
Areas of Interest/Expertise
- Product Development & Design
- Global Marketing & Strategy
- Export Management
- Global Sourcing Strategy
- Innovation & Technology Transfer
- Cooperative Strategies
Awarded Fulbright for 2015-2016
The Kathryn and Craig Hall Distinguished Chair in Entrepreneurship in Central Europe. Prof Swan will be located at WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business) in close collaboration with their Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (http://www.wu.ac.at/entrep/en/) and will work closely with the University of Bratislava, Slovakia.
- Research Gate: Access to Articles
- “Process Technology Sourcing and the Innovation Context,”2014 (with Brent Allred) Journal of Product Innovation Management. 31(6) 1146–1166.
- Innovation and Product Management: A Holistic and Practical Approach to Uncertainty Reduction (with Kurt Gaubinger, Michael Rabi, and Thomas Werani). Springer Science & Business Media. October 2014. http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/technology+management/book/978-3-642-54375-3
- Advances in International Marketing, edited volume on Interdisciplinary Approaches to Product Design, Innovation, & Branding in International Marketing, K. Scott Swan & Shaoming Zao, editors, Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2012. (Listed on University of Texas website as “Recommended Reading” http://www.today.mccombs.utexas.edu/2013/04/recommended-reading-spring-2013)
- “Product Design Research and Practice: Past, Present and Future,” Journal of Product Innovation Management, May 2011 (with Michael Luchs).
- “The Emergence of Product Design as a Field of Marketing Inquiry,” Journal of Product Innovation Management, May 2011 (with Michael Luchs).
- "Does ‘The China Option’ Influence Subsidiary Technology Sourcing Strategy?" (with Brent Allred), Journal of International Management, Issue 15(2) 2009.
- "Personality-and-Culture: The Case of National Extraversion and Word-Of-Mouth," Journal of Business Research, 59(6) 2006, pp. 778-785 . (with Todd Mooradian)
- "Exploring Robust Design Capabilities, Their Role in Creating Global Products, and Their Relationship To Firm Performance," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 22 (2) 2005, pp. 144-64 (with Masaaki Kotabe & Brent Allred).
- "The Mediating Role of Innovation Strategy on the Influence of Industry Structure and National Context on Firm Performance," Journal of International Management, 11 (2) 2005, pp.229-52 (with Brent Allred).