Denise A. Jones joined the William & Mary faculty in 2000 after receiving her Ph.D. from the University of Colorado at Boulder. She also earned an M.B.A. and M.S. in Finance from the University of Colorado, and a B.S. in Accounting from Bryant College. Prior to pursuing her doctorate, Dr. Jones worked as an auditor for an international public accounting firm.
Dr. Jones’s research focuses on voluntary disclosure and the role of accounting information in firm valuation. Her papers have been published in leading academic journals such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, and Journal of Management Accounting Research. Dr. Jones is the recipient of a grant from the International Association for Accounting Education and Research as part of their program to support scholarly research directed at informing the International Accounting Standards Board’s decision process.
Dr. Jones has taught courses on financial statement analysis, modeling financial statements for use in valuation, intermediate financial reporting, advanced financial reporting topics, auditing, advanced auditing, and principles of financial and managerial accounting. She has won teaching excellence awards in both the M.B.A. and Master of Accounting Programs.
Areas of Interest/Expertise
- Voluntary Disclosure
- Pension and Other Retirement Plans
- Financial Statement Modeling
- Financial Reporting
- International Financial Reporting Standards
- Changes in the Funded Status of Retirement Plans after the Adoption of SFAS No. 158: Economic Improvement or Balance Sheet Management? forthcoming in Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Comparing the Value Relevance, Predictive Value, and Persistence of Other Comprehensive Income and Special Items, with Kim Smith, The Accounting Review Vol. 86, No. 6, November 2011, p. 2047-2073.
- Market Valuation of Intangible Resources: The Use of Strategic Human Capital, with Lisa Bryant and Sally Widener, Advances in Management Accounting, Vol.17, 2008, p. 1-42.
- Voluntary Disclosure in R&D Intensive Industries, Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 24, No. 2, Summer 2007, p. 489-522.
- How Does Accounting Fit into a Firm's Political Strategy? with Derek Johnston, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy Vol. 25, No. 2, March/April 2006, p. 195-228.
- Existing Disclosure Challenges of IPO Allocations, with Wanda Wallace, Research in Accounting Regulation Vol. 18, 2005, p. 107-126.
- Managing Value Creation within the Firm: An Examination of Multiple Performance Measures, with Lisa Bryant and Sally Widener, Journal of Management Accounting Research Vol. 16, 2004, p. 107-131.