William and Mary’s Swem Library Research Paper Writing & Citation Guide
2. Question: Where can I find an online guide about how to write an academic research paper?
3. Question: Where can I find ebooks about research paper writing and citing?
Search the Swem catalog by keyword or subject (e.g., report writing, bibliographical citations, academic writing, etc.) and choose ‘electronic’ for the format or material type.
4. Question: How do I avoid plagiarism?
- Purdue University's Online Writing Lab -- "Avoiding Plagiarism"
- Duke University's "Citing Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism"
5. Question: Where can I find free, on-campus help with research papers and oral presentations?
- The Writing Resources Center for help in person or via Skype
6. Question: Where can I find an online guide that tells how to cite my sources?
- The Chicago Manual of Style Online
- APA Style
- MLA Style
- MLA Style Manual -- frequently asked questions
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide - The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue
- University of Wisconsin / Madison MLA style guide
- Duke University's "Assembling a List of Works Cited"
- MLA Style Citations (for Bibliographies and In-Text Notes)
- Update to MLA Style section of "A Pocket Style Manual" by Diana Hacker (2009)
7. Question: How do I cite a database, an e-book, a tweet, etc.?
8. How do I write an annotated bibliography?
- Annotated bibliographies - Purdue University's guide
- Annotated bibliographies -- UNC-Chapel Hill's guide
- MLA-style and APA-style Annotated Bibliographies - Cornell's guide
9. Question: Where can I find a free citation tool to collect and format my sources?
Online tools let you import citations and documents from all kinds of online sources, organize them, and create reference lists in various output styles.
10. Question: Where can I find a free tool to help organize and keep track of all my research?